I never eat breakfast…I know it’s the most important meal of the day, but if you know me, you know I’m not a morning person. My sleep comes before food.
I was reading an old Food and Wine the other day and stumbled upon this Broccoli Frittata recipe. It seemed simple and delicious so I thought I’d give it a try. It was super simple, but I under salted, so make sure you use enough seasoning!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced (I used the ready-to-use minced garlic)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I would use a little less…but tweak depending on how hot you want your dish)
- Black Pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (it is so worth it to buy a block and shred it yourself with a microplane – I have this one and I use it almost every day!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In an oven-safe skillet, heat a small amount of olive oil and garlic. Add the broccoli and red pepper. Let cook for 2-3 minutes until the broccoli turns bright green and begins to get tender.
3. In a bowl, whisk the egg with salt and pepper. I also added a little milk (just a little bit!) to make the eggs fluffier.
4. Pour egg mixture over broccoli and cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the cheese on top and put the frittata in the oven. Let it cook for about 10-12 minutes, until the center is set.
Like I mentioned, breakfast is difficult for me…I originally made this with the hopes of taking it to work and eating in my office. I ended up having it for lunch (with a side of risotto), which was tasty. So my point is, this broccoli frittata is versatile. Eat it any time of the day!
Next time I make it, I think I may also add some more veggies like mushrooms and spinach. Yum!