Kate’s Birth Day

Kate Announcement

Wow! What a day! What an amazing(ly long) day! I will never forget the first moment I laid eyes on our sweet baby girl. It was so surreal.

Last Saturday Adam went for a  run, as he typically does every Saturday. I had just gotten out of the shower and was brushing my teeth (my parents were coming over to do their laundry since they had a flood issue in their (second story….yikes!) laundry room and literally had to rip everything up thus having a non-functioning washer and dryer) and my water broke. It’s true that when it happens, you know. Adam and I were so concerned about when to go to the hospital, how would we know the right time, etc. but when it happens you just know. So I called him on his cell, told him what had happened and he started on his way back home. He later told me he had literally reached the longest point in his run, all the way to the front of the neighborhood (almost three miles away) and thought about hitch-hiking his way home. He didn’t catch a ride, but he ended up running sub-seven minute miles!

When he got home I was feeling fine. I told him to take a shower while I got a few last-minute items together. After his shower he loaded the car and we were on our way to Rex. When we arrived, we were sent to triage where they hooked me up to monitors and did a few tests. To our surprise the “paper test” didn’t change colors thus they didn’t believe my water had really broken, however, something was clearly going on. They continued to monitor me for another hour, and then released me. The doctor was sure we’d be back soon, just didn’t know how soon.

Adam and I took this as an opportunity to eat a late lunch at Vivace before heading home. On the way home I started having more consistent contractions. They weren’t too painful yet, but were def coming more regularly. When we got home, my parents were there finishing up their laundry (they had been at the hospital earlier for the “false alarm” and still had a couple of loads to do). I laid on the couch for about an hour, until the contractions were five minutes apart, lasting about a minute to a minute and a half. When they began getting really painful, around 7:30 pm, I told Adam we should probably head back to the hospital.

Once we got there they sent us straight to a room, no triage this time. I still had not made any progress, but this time the “paper test” confirmed that my water had in fact broken. So the nurse told us to walk around for an hour hoping this would help speed up the process. For the most part I was fine walking around, but when the contractions hit I just wanted to sit down. After the hour was over, we returned to the room to find additional equipment, like the IV stand, has been delivered. This was going to happen, and it was going to happen soon! We were so excited! When the nurse checked, still no change. I think this was the most frustrating part! After a few minutes, our nurse, Jayme, was back with the IV fluid and we were officially admitted to the hospital.


Walking around the hospital; Adam said I reminded him of Homer Simpson.

I won’t bore you with the next several hours. In a nutshell it consisted of a lot of HGTV but unfortunately we were not getting any closer to meeting our baby girl. The pain began to get pretty intense, so Jayme gave me the okay to go ahead and get the epidural (even though I was not dilated enough!). I was so uncomfortable I did not want any lights on, or sound, and I especially didn’t want anyone touching me! After my contraction passed, the anesthesiologist began her prep. I seriously thought she was just rubbing my back. It felt great! I had no idea she was doing her thing…the only sensation I felt was a quick “zing” in my right leg. At this time Jayme also gave me a bit of Pitocin intravenously to speed things along. Since my water had broken, the doctor preferred me to give birth to Kate within 24 hours to reduce risk of infection. After receiving the epidural, my pain level immediately subsided and I was able to get a couple hours of sleep.

I woke up and was feeling a lot of pressure, so I buzzed Jayme. She came quickly, assessed the situation and called the doctor. We were ready to get this ball rolling! I pushed for two hours (omg, I know what they call is labor now…let me tell you, it’s not easy!) – which apparently is nothing for a first baby. I seriously don’t know how woman are in labor for 30-some hours…my 11 hours of labor, two hours of pushing was plenty for me!

I can’t describe what it felt like when I saw our daughter for the first time. She was so perfect! I asked to hold her immediately, so she was placed on my chest for a few minutes before being taken away for her measurements, bath, etc. I just couldn’t stop staring at her. I was too emotional to even cry! I just kept saying “hey sweet baby.” I just couldn’t (still can’t) believe she’s mine! God created this little baby for us to raise. What a blessing! How thankful Adam and I are to have had such a wonderful pregnancy and birth experience, and that Kate is healthy. We can’t wait to see where this journey leads us!


Baby Kate – 2/2/14 at 6:06 am


Dr. Richardson, Nurse Jayme, Kate and me


Our sweet baby girl and me.


Family photo!



1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One response to “Kate’s Birth Day

  1. I love Dr Richardson! And Baby Kate is so so so beautiful! Congrats to your new family of 3. xoxoxox

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s