My dad was telling me a story the other day about how his mom used to make homemade pimiento cheese, and how it was so much better than the pre-made stuff at the store. I couldn’t agree more, so I decided to try to make my own. I couldn’t believe how simple it was! And I’d say it turned out pretty delicious! But then again, how could loads of cheese ever taste bad? 🙂
- 8 oz Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. Diced Pimientos
- 2 Tbs Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbs Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Squeeze of Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pinch of Sugar (this is key!)
1. Drain the pimientos and set them aside.
2. Shred the cheese. It’s important that you shred it yourself…please do not use the cheese that’s already shredded. It will not taste as good, I promise!
3. Mix the yogurt, mayo, Worcestershire, lemon, salt, pepper and sugar with the freshly shredded cheese.
4. Fold in the pimientos with a rubber spatula.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preferences.
6. Let pimiento cheese rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. The spread is good for a few days if kept refrigerated, if it makes it that long!