After dinner tonight I was craving a sweet ending. In my opinion, there’s nothing more simple and more delicious than a homemade peach cobbler with ice cream. So that’s exactly what I made!
I got this Paula Dean cookbook for Christmas a few years ago and had no doubt Paula probably makes a mean peach cobbler. So I went to the index and found the following super simple recipe:
- 8 tbs (1 stick) butter
- 1 c sugar
- 3/4 c self-rising flour
- 3/4 c milk
- One 28 oz can sliced peaches in syrup, undrained
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put butter in a deep baking dish and place in the oven to melt.
2. Mix sugar and flour; add milk slowly to prevent lumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do NOT stir.
3. Spoon fruit on top. Still do NOT stir; the batter will rise to the top during baking.
4. Bake for 30-45 minutes. Serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
*Variation: You can substitute any kind of fruit you’d like. When fresh fruit is available, you can also use blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, apples, peaches or pears. Simply clean, peel, and core 2 cups of fruit and mis with 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water. In a saucepan, bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir often, making sure sugar is completely dissolved.
Isn’t he the cutest little chef helper?